“Working for this program has been the best part of my college experience; I could not have asked for a more fulfilling work study job. As I look back on my time with Tutors for All, I truly believe this organization has changed my life.”
– Sarah Chaffee, Emerson College ’16
Duties and Expectations
- Create lesson plan for student in preparation for each tutorial session
- Execute lesson plan in either basic math or literacy
- Proctor student assessments and tailor tutorial to fit student’s growing skill knowledge
- Use creativity to engage student in difficult lessons
- Serve as an example of college success for your student
- Grade your student daily on participation, effort, and respect
- Work as a member of a team of tutors who reflect, plan, and problem solve together with the help of two supervisors
- Prepare progress reports for students
- Periodic clerical work: filing curriculum, calling parents, etc
- Hold students accountable for code of conduct
- Attend mandatory training before start of tutorial program
- Passion for working with Boston youth.
- Adherence to strict professional standards as regards to conduct, dress, timeliness, etc.
- Eagerness to reflect on and improve performance.
Tutors for All is currently able to serve as an off-campus Federal Work Study site for many Boston area universities. We are, however, only able to offer direct hire employment to Lead Tutors on a program-by-program basis.
Tutors for All also offers positions to volunteers who are ineligible for paid compensation. To offset the cost of commuting to and from our sites, we are able to offer our volunteers access to monthly Charlie Cards while they are serving in one of our programs.
How to Apply
- Fill out the Tutor Application
The Urban Science Academy strives to be a learning community built on trust, respect, and courage. We diligently dedicate ourselves to develop intellectual curiosity and academic excellence, independent thought and creative thinking, passion and creativity. Assuming responsibility for our actions and realizing our full potential, we strive to find our place in the world and leave prepared for lifelong learning and real-world challenges.
Squashbusters is a sports-based after-school youth enrichment program located in Boston and Lawrence, Massachusetts. We use the sport of squash, in combination with academic enrichment/homework tutoring, community service, school counseling and placement, and summer opportunities to improve the lives of Boston and Lawrence youth.
Boston Green Academy’s mission is to ensure that all of its students, especially those who have struggled, will graduate prepared for success in college and the workforce. We prepare our students to be leaders in environmental stewardship and activism, to live their lives responsibly and sustainably, and to be prepared to succeed in the burgeoning green economy.
The YMCA of Greater Boston is dedicated to improving the health of mind, body and spirit of individuals and families in our communities. We welcome men and women, boys and girls of all incomes, faiths and cultures.
The mission of the Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Community Health Improvement is to collaborate with community and hospital partners to build and sustain healthier communities and to enhance the hospitals responsiveness to patients and community members from diverse backgrounds.
Codman Academy Charter Public School's mission is to prepare students for full participation in society by ensuring their preparation for and access to further education, developing the skills and vision to undertake a rewarding career, and developing the motivation and character needed to engage deeply and productively in community life. We view parents and community members as integral partners in this endeavor.
The Tobin K-8 school is an extended services design that engages school staff, families and community partners to develop students' social, emotional well-being and academic success. As a team, everyone works together to support the Tobin Way™, Tobin Mission and Tobin Vision for excellence.